You are here:-, Living in Munich, Moving, paperwork, Tutorials-Applying for a residence permit in Munich

Applying for a residence permit in Munich

If you want to apply for a residence permit in Munich, you should first check whether you fit to blue card requirements. Having a blue card has an advantage compared to the normal residence permit as it allows permanent residence permit after 21 months if your German level is B1. With a normal residence permit, you qualify for a permanent residence permit after 5 years.

If you move for work, and you fit the following criteria, you should apply for a blue card.

  • You graduated from a German university or you have a foreign graduate degree/ diploma that is comparable to German graduate degree.
  • You have a yearly gross salary of 49.600 Euro. (If you would work in areas that have shortage of occupation such as Natural Scientist, Mathematician, Engineer, Doctor, Specialist in Information or Communication technology the limit is 38.688 Euro.)

You can only present your application in an appointment with the Ausländerbehörde (foreigner’s office). As written in the Your to-do List for Moving to Munich post, you should take it as early as possible, even before moving to Munich.

To request an appointment from the  Ausländerbehörde (foreigners’ office) you should send an email to the designated email addresses with the following details:

  • Familienname und Vorname (Surname and Name)
  • Geburtsdatum (Birthday)
  • Telefonnummer (Telephone number)
  • Grund für die Terminanfrage (Reason for the appointment) : In this case Aufenthaltstitel (residence permit) or Blaue Karte Beantragung (Blue Card application – see section Blue Card for details)

Designated email addresses for the residence permit are listed below according to the first letter of your surname:

To take appointment for Blue card, send an email to (if you are qualified workforce or manager, see the section Blue Card)

You should bring the following documents to your appointment:

  • Application form
  • Passport
  • Biometric Photo
  • University Diploma / Certificate – if it is not in German, you should present a translation from a certified translator. If required you should also present the Recognition document.. You can get your diploma translated without leaving your apartment with the online service of Lingoking. Just upload your document and you will get the translated document to your address. Book your translation now (partner link*)
  • If you graduated from a university outside of Germany, you should present a concrete job offer and your company should fill out “Ausländerbeschäftigung” form.
  • If you graduated from a German university, you should bring a job contract and your company should fill out “Ausländerbeschäftigung” form.

Be aware that you should have done your registration to the city (Anmeldung) before going to your appointment to get the residence permit.

After your application, you will be given an application number and will be able to follow your status with this number. Once you see that your residence permit was issued, you can go and pick it up without an appointment.


I hope you get your residence permit easily and quickly!


All the best,


* Hi, above I mentioned about Lingoking. Total disclosure I have a cooperation with them and if you decide to have your document translated with them using the link here, you will be supporting me financially with a commission so that I can continue writing these articles for you.  I only share the services of companies which I find useful and trustable. Thank you for trusting me and supporting me.