On 18th of November I checked the Munich hotel bars scene out thanks to Sparkling Munich Event.
Sparkling Munich is the luxury hotel- barhopping event. With a ticket costing 34 euro, you get free entrance to 9 hotel bars, one welcome drink at the starting hotel and another at the hotel of your selection, snacks at the hotels, shuttle service between the hotels and entrance to the after-party at Filmcasino.
I saw the bars of Hotel Königshof, Sofitel, Mandarin Oriental, Hotel Platzl, Derag Living Hotel, Hotel Louis and Vier Jahreszeiten Kempinski in that order. I missed The Charles Hotel and Le Meridien Hotel.
Out of these 7 I enjoyed Hotel Königshof, Sofitel, Hotel Platzl, and Derag Living Hotel.
THE BEST HOTEL BARS OF SPARKLING MUNICH FOR ME
- The bar was kind of old style. This hotel is known for being traditional so that was expected, but not my type of a bar.
- I liked that as I entered, a waitress served me the welcome drink.
- There were snacks on the tables and hot appetizers kept coming as flying buffet. Unfortunately there were very few hot appetizers for vegetarians.
- The light of the bar was for my taste, it was dark:)
- The music was nice. A good looking guy was DJing and playing saxophone to the musing.
- There were snacks and a lot of hot appetisiers as flying buffet but unfortunately no hot appetisers for vegetarians.
- The cocktail I had was tasty.
The Platzl Hotel
- The bar is just at the entrance of the hotel so it did not really feel like a bar. And again there was too much light.
- It was great having the Verrückte Eismacher (The crazy ice maker). We got to have ice cream as snacks, and crazy ones: Glühwein and smoked almonds.
- There were a lot of hot appetizers served as flying buffet, but again very few for vegetarians.
- The music was one of the best. I was dancing at my seat as nobody else was dancing.
Derag Living Hotel
- This was the bar with the cutest decoration. They had the circus theme, the waiters were dressed like the circus performers, there were balloons of circus animals and props.
- It was a little place and there wasn’t much going on so we left in a few minutes to the next bar.
THE BARS THAT DISAPPOINTED ME IN SPARKLING MUNICH
I have to say I was disappointed with Kempinski and Mandarin. I had too high expectations of Mandarin, and I was hoping that we would be at the terrace bar. I was wrong about the terrace bar and the actual bar had no charm at all. Kempinski also had not much to offer, it was like an ordinary place with tables and chairs. But I should count myself lucky as many did not get the chance even to enter.
We had fun visiting different bars on one night and riding with a nice shuttle from one place to another. But, I probably would not attend this event again. I can visit these bars without a ticket any time if I like. The shuttle is not really necessary as one can reach them easily from one another. (Unless you have high heels) I would probably be able to order two drinks with 34 euro. So I guess I completed my Sparkling Munich journey.
If you would like to give it a try, the next Sparkling Munich will be in April. You can follow up the updates on the Facebook page of Sparkling Munich.