I am so excited about this weekend! First of all Summer Tollwood has started! So till 22nd of July there is always something going on in Munich! But that’s not all this weekend. Today and on Sunday we have festivals in Koenigsplatz, International Munich Film Festival has started and has great films in program…. We got some open air concerts some flea markets too. Here is what’s up in Munich this weekend:
14:00 – 22:00: Residenz Free Entrance
Entrance to Residenz museum is free today thanks to the celebration of 100 years of Bavarian Castles Management. The visitors will also get the chance to visit the royal palace (the apartments of king and queen) which was just renovated and reopens its doors today.
Friday 14:30 – 23:00 : Tunix 2018
Tunix is an open air festival organized by TUM students. It takes place in the center of Munich in Königsplatz. There are concerts, a beer garden and food. The prices are good for the student budgets. Check the website of the festival for the program.
Friday 17:00 – 22:00 : Courtyard Flea Markets in Moosach
Visiting courtyard flea markets is a great idea to do second hand shopping and get to know the neighbourhoods. On Friday you can visit the courtyard flea markets of Moosach between 17:00 – 22:00. Check the map for the locations.
Friday – Sunday: Tollwood
The biggest summer festival of Munich has started. If you don’t know Tollwood, it is a huge festival village in Olympiapark with tents, open spaces, free concerts, performances, food and curiosities stalls and much more. This year is the 30th year of Tollwood. I checked the program for this weekend and here is what caught my attention:
- Friday 16:00 – 18:00 & 19:30 – 22:00 Concerts @Andechser Tent
- Friday 18:00 – 19:30 Concerts @Fassbar
- Friday 19:00 – 22:00 Latin Dances @ Half Moon Bar
- Friday 22:00 onwards Silent Disco (with headphones) @ Half Moon Bar
- Friday 22 :00 – 23:45 Concerts @ Andechser Lounge
- Saturday 12:00 – 14:00 & 15:00 – 18:00 & 19:30 – 22:00 Concerts @Andechser Tent
- Saturday 17:00 -19:00 Eye Contact Experiment (looking into a stranger’s eye for a long period of time) @Amphitheatre
- Saturday 17:30 – 19:00 Concerts @Fassbar
- Saturday 22 :00 – 23:45 Concerts @ Andechser Lounge
- Sunday 16:30 – 18:00 Concerts @Fassbar
For more information check the website of the festival.
If you want to get some feeling of the festival, you can read my last year’s visit here.
Friday – Sunday:Filmfest München
In Munich’s International Film Festival 220 films will be screened, 43 films will do their world premieres. The tickets cost 9,90 Euro and sold online, in Gasteig and the festival movie theatres. For the program check the website of the event.
Friday – Sunday: Kulturstrand
Kulturstrand is the public beach in the middle of the city. If you want to relax, put your feet to the sand and have a drink, it is the place to go! It is at the Vater-Rhein-Brunnen (fountain) just across the Deutsches Museum. There are concerts and live acts on most of the days. The program of this weekend is as follows:
- Friday 17:00 – 23:00: United Colors of Feierabend: starting the weekend with music and chilled mood on the beach.
- Friday 19:00 – 21:00 Concert of One Sentence. Supervisor (entrance free)
- Saturday 11:00 – 14:00 Polarstern Isar Clean Up – cleaning the area between Wittelsbacherbruecke and Prinzregentenbruecke. Bring your cleaning gloves.
- Saturday 17:00 – 23:00: Days at the Beach: party with electronic music
- Sunday 21:30 – 23:00: Screening of the documentary “A Global Joy” – life of European Street Musicians
Friday 22:00 onwards: GehTanzen FilmFest Edition
Geh Tanzen is the event series for clubbing. This is the filmfest edition so there will be dancable film music too. It will take place at Lucky Who, a club just a few minutes from Odeonsplatz and which has also a courtyard to hang out. Entrance costs 10 Euro. Lucky Who is at Briennerstr. 14.
10:00 – 16:00: Courtyard Flea Markets in Glockenbach and Obermenzing
Visiting courtyard flea markets is a great idea to do second hand shopping and get to know the neighbourhoods. On Saturday you can visit the courtyard flea markets of Glockenbach and Obermenzing between 10:00 – 16:00.
11:00 – Sunday 01:00 : Gans Am Wasser Open Air
The beautiful cafe in Westpark “Gans am Wasser” invites music lovers to the Open Air Festival. The entrance is free. You can find more information on the website of Gans Am Wasser
14:00 – 23:00: Hungry for Music – Charity Open Air
The open air festival with music from The Ocelots, Ye Vagabonds, John Dunne Official and Tanya Naughton and the profits go to the Christina Noble Foundation, which is committed to helping children in Vietnam & Mongolia and giving all children the right to a happy and safe childhood. The event takes place in Bürgerhaus Glockenbach Werkstatt, Blumenstr. 7 and the tickets cost 5 Euro.
10:00 – 18:00: M-Net Munich Sportsfestival
Annual Munich Sport Festival is happening this Sunday. Here you can get to know new sports, try more than 90 sport types, watch the professionals compete or show their talents. One of the highlights is the World Slackline Masters international slacklining competition at 12:00. There will be also concerts and dance shows. Food trucks in the festival area will help you with the energy you need. For more information, check the website of the event.
Have a great weekend,